History by category: Mater Convent

Expansion on Mater Hill

On 15 August 1925, Archbishop of Brisbane James Duhig laid the Foundation Stone for the Mater chapel and convent building. The slightly easier financial climate of the 1920s enabled the Sisters to build a permanent chapel which was to be at the heart of the Mercy Mission at Mater. Highly regarded architectural firm, Hall and Dods, which designed the Mater Private Hospital building, was consulted, even though they had moved from Brisbane to Sydney. The following year, in December 1926, Mater Private Hospital chapel and convent building opened. The building was attached to the western end of Mater Private Hospital. 

Tags: Mater Convent, Mater Private Hospital